If you are anything like us, you are obsessed with candles! However here is the big question: do we really know how to take care of one? Here are some tips and tricks to enhance your candle burning experience and maximize the candle performance.
Before you light a candle
1. Check Wick – Trim your cotton wick to 0.7cm with a wick trimmer before lighting.
2. Stay Even and Draft Free – Burn your candle in an even surface and stay away from drafts. The breeze will cause your candle wick to create more smoke and at times, soot. When they are placed evenly, you lose the risk of tunnelling and uneven performance.
While you burn the candle
3. First Burn – The first time you light up a new candle, let it burn for about 3 hours until the pool of wax reaches the edge of the glass. If you don’t, you run the risk of tunnelling down the centre of the candle and missing out on hours of scent!
4. Length of Burn – Do not burn your candle for more than 4 hours at a time as this will cause carbon to collect on the wick and the end of your wick will begin to mushroom.
3. Stop Burn – When your candle burns down to less than 0.7cm, do stop using for safety reasons.
While extinguishing the flame
6. Use a Candle Snuffer – We recommend you to always use a candle snuffer to extinguish the flame and prevent hot wax splattering. Shopee has a variety of choices for you to purchase one!
When you finished burning your candle
7. Use it as a Whisky Glass – Find out more by reading our article on how you can cleverly repurpose your empty soy candle jars (we know you will love our ideas 😉)